Sunday, February 05, 2006

Back in the 9th

It's been another long day. This morning, Jake and I left the hotel at 6:30am and were back in the 9th Ward photographing by 6:45am. We met up with Dennis and Sam and we all continued to roam the ward and shoot as much as possible until the light was too contrasty. Until about 9am or so, the light was amazing. Unfortunately, there was a lot of traffic through the 9th Ward. People are coming through now to see what has happened. I saw license plates from FL, TX, IN, and NY. There was even a tour bus. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing.

I shot another 7 rolls of film and Jake shot about two. I will be going home with about 25 rolls of film from the Katrina disaster. I've also been doing some street shooting in the French Quarter and will continue to do more when I am done writing.

It's been a very surreal experiece here. Jake and I have been blown away by what has happened here. We both have a ton of questions. We both have had the same reactions. It is very sad and overwhelming to see hundreds, if not thousands of homes that have been completely ruined. No chance of fixing, jjust rebuilding from scratch.

Hearing the stories Dennis and Sam have to tell are terrifying and unbelievable. Dennis' story of his cat who survived 10 days floating on a box in 8 feet of water is truly heart-breaking (the cat's name is Jack and is doing well).

I am, we are, so happy that we did this. Now we have to do something with the work. Jake and I want to do a show in Santa Fe and/or ABQ I am feeling like I should help Dennis and Sam have a show as well. I will see what I can do.

We leave for Santa Fe tomorrow but I will never forget this experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home