Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I'm back in New Mexico

I got back home last night about 7:30pm. It was a very long day. Jake and I walked around the french quarter in the morning and then drove around the west side of New Orleans.

On the flight from NO to Dallas, I sat next to a woman and her two kids. They are from NO but have been displaced to Dallas since Katrina. They lost their home and almost all of their belongs. And to make matters worse, the Insurance company has yet to pay them for the damage. I told her that I photographed in the lower 9th ward and she was very surprised. This was an area that I never would have gone into before the storm.

It is still hard for me to comprehend the damage. In the lower 9th ward, every home has been wiped out. Along Highway 90 in Biloxi, every home on the beach has been wiped out. These were old, antebellum homes. Completely gone from the storm. Incredible.

The entire place feels strange. Even the French Quarter seems odd. It's like they are pretending that nothing happened. But I guess since the FQ is the money maker, they have to do whatever it takes to bring the people back. I hope this is going to be a good Mardi Gras for them. They all need the money.

I will figure out something good to do with this work. I have a meeting next week with a gallery owner here in Santa Fe. No matter, this work will have somewhere for the one year anniversary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home